Monday, August 17, 2015

#AUTHOR INTERVIEW with VICKI LEIGH

AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH VICKI LEIGH, author of Catch Me When I Fall




and the upcoming Find Me If You Dare




NOW FOR MY QUESTIONS:


Q) Do you own a cat? The Black Cat Blog wants proof (a picture).
I do not. I have a puppy, though!
Ann: Gotta love a cute puppy! :)





Q) WORST life advice you ever received.
I actually don't know. lol

Q) BEST life advice you ever received.
The best things in life are the ones worth working for.

Q) Please share a picture of your favorite shoes.
I don't own them, but...
Ann: Even though I'd surely plunge to my death in these shoes, I can appreciate them.






Q) What's your favorite Disney film? (We are watching Maleficent right now.)
Tangled!
Ann: A most excellent choice!






Q) You recently went back to school. How do you manage to balance school, writing, and "real life?"
What is "real life?" ;) For real, though, I just prioritize everything. Whatever is due the soonest, or is most important, comes first. Then I just do as much as I can every day. It feels like there's never a time to relax, but I'm terrible at relaxing, anyway. :)
Ann: I'm not real great at relaxing, either. There's always so much to do...




Q) Has working as an editor made it more difficult for you to enjoy a good book when reading for "fun?"
Actually, yes. I find I've become hyper-aware of things in books, and a book I might've loved pre-editor-job, I don't enjoy as much now. That said, I can now especially appreciate a brilliant book.
Ann: I should've asked for examples here, darn it!




Q) Tell me about Rome. ALL ABOUT ROME. I want details, baby.
Rome is awesome. Amazing food, really hot guys, and so much history. It's beautiful there, and standing in the Coliseum gave me chills.




Q) What event would you call your breakthrough as an author?
To be quite honest, I have yet to feel like I've broken out in the industry. I'm still pretty unknown. But it was really awesome when someone who I didn't know had read and loved my book and came up to me at a conference half-way across the country to tell me so. :)

Q) What do you know now that you wish you knew much earlier on as an author?
How to write! haha All kidding aside, with each book you write, your strengths as an author grow. If I tried to re-write CATCH ME WHEN I FALL with all I've learned since then, it would be a completely different book. I do wish, though, I would've understood the publishing industry a little better (I just simply hadn't done enough research).




Q) What's the best marketing advice you can give other authors?
Pinpoint the social media outlets that target your specific audience and figure out ways to reach them while always being yourself. People can spot a phony—or someone simply trying to sell their books, rather than connect with readers—from a thousand miles away.

Q) Name 5 books you wish you'd written (and not just for the money and fame).
HARRY POTTER series. THE SCORPIO RACES. LOOKING FOR ALASKA. THE WRATH AND THE DAWN. GRISHA trilogy.

Q) List 5 books you loved as a child.
THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE. EVERWORLD series. LIONESS QUARTET. THE PRINCESS DIARIES. HARRY POTTER.
Ann: I love these last two questions. They help build my TBR pile.


Q) If you were to be executed tomorrow, what would you choose as a meal for your last supper?
Chicken strips and fries. :)




AUTHOR BIO
Vicki Leigh grew up in a small suburb of Akron, Ohio where she learned to read by the age of four and considered being sent to her room for punishment as an opportunity to dive into another book. By the sixth grade, Vicki penned her first, full-length screenplay. If she couldn’t be a writer, Vicki would be a Hunter (think Dean and Sam Winchester) or a Jedi. Her favorite place on earth is Hogwarts (she refuses to believe it doesn’t exist), and her favorite dreams include solving cases alongside Sherlock Holmes. She’s a previous acquisitions editor for Curiosity Quills Press, currently a full-time criminology student, and her YA debut, Catch Me When I Fall, released October 23, 2014.

You can find her at her website or on TwitterFacebookGoodreadsYouTubePinterestTumblr, and Instagram.


No comments:

Post a Comment